VeryFirstTo organizes together with Timothy Oulton a trip round the world to visit the best speakeasy bars. Cities like London, Hong Kong, Singapore, LA and New York will be visited. Of course Amsterdam with Door74, The Butcher and World Class Room will not stay behind in the series. At the end of the trip participants will receive their own Timothy Oulton Speakeasy bar, called the Hudson. This link will lead you to more information about the Hudson Collection.
Visiting the The World’s Most Alluring Secret Bars
VeryFirstTo is delighted to announce the first ever trip visiting the The World’s Most Alluring Secret Bars. And, on top of this unprecedented tour featuring remarkable hidden watering holes, on your return home you will be greeted by a beautiful bar of your own, courtesy of British interiors company Timothy Oulton.
The month-long luxurious and captivating tour incorporates 10 cities across the globe famed for their enticing speakeasies as well as various other spectacular and eccentric bars. Various of the bars’ names are already indicative that this will be a tour like no other: Bathtub Gin; Blind Barber; Death & Co; Employees Only; Evans & Peel Detective Agency; Fall From Grace; Happiness Forgets; The Back Room; and The Butcher.
Not only does the trip take in the cultural highlights of each city as well as privileged access and insights into various of the bars, the itinerary includes: meeting and hearing from world-renowned bar expert and author Christine Sismondo (and receiving her book ‘America Walks Into a Bar: A Spirited History of Taverns and Saloons, Speakeasies and Grog Shops’); experiencing cabaret and outstanding music performances; and enjoying cocktail making classes from the world’s top mixologists.
Besides hidden away anonymous doors down dimly lit alleyways, establishments masquerading as shops, buzzers and brass bells, passwords to whisper, and entrances hidden behind sliding bookcases; bar experiences to anticipate on the ultimate libations voyage celebrating the Golden Age of drinking include:
– entering an umbrella shop and finding a particular umbrella handle that reveals the hidden world of Foxglove behind the dazzling showcases;
– choosing from a range of around 360 whiskies at Baxter Inn;
– roaming the ground floor of The Croft Institute resembling a science lab populated with an abundance of unusual glass apparatus and where the ladies bathroom is behind a door marked ‘Department of Female Hygiene’;
– sipping drinks at HR Giger deep inside the ultimate in immersive art – ‘a biomechanical environment’ created by famed Alien designer Giger, characterised by stunning evocative chambers formed by enormous vertebrae.
– gaining entry at a hot dog joint through a vintage phone box into the too-cool-for-school speakeasy-style space of PDT;
– attending a movie night where drinks on offer reflect the film at Local Edition located in the bowels of the historic Hearst Building where the walls are covered with vintage newspapers
– sitting in members-only Blue Room within the very space that welcomed the stars of the silver screen including Mary Pickford, Douglas Fairbanks, Rudolph Valentino and Charlie Chaplin;
– making decisions at Apothéke, a one-time Opium den, where house ‘prescriptions’ are divided into categories including: ‘Health and beauty’, ‘Painkiller’ and ‘Aphrodisiac’.
And on the subject of drinks: expect those of the very finest quality, crafted by award winning bartenders at award winning bars, offering a plethora of the world’s most imaginative alcoholic creations including: Bad Spaniard; Maple Bacon Bourbon; Popping Corn Cocktail; and White Zombie Doctor. Why not sample a Sweeney Ted which blends Jameson with lemon, honey, pomegranate liqueur, egg white and Creole bitters, or try a bit of Slap n’Pickle Krogstad Aquavit combining muddled cucumber, fresh squeezed lime juice, house made grenadine and a cucumber wedge.
The trip is managed by luxury travel specialists Hurlingham Travel.
Bars And Hotels By City
Whilst those bars listed are key ones, participants will be advised of other worthwhile ones which can be visited.
LONDON (3 nights at Four Seasons Park Lane)
Evans & Peel Detective Agency
AMSTERDAM (2 nights at The Conservatorium)
World Class Room
GENEVA and nearby (1 night each at: Four Seasons Hotel Des Bergues in Geneva; Victoria Jungfrau in Interlakken; The Beau Rivage in Lausanne)
Hotel Edelweiss (Mürren)
H.R. Giger Bar (Gruyere)
SINGAPORE (3 nights at Raffles)
28 HongKong Street
Jigger & Pony
HONG KONG (2 nights at Mandarin Oriental)
MELBOURNE (2 nights at Langham)
Fall from Grace
The Croft Institute
SYDNEY (3 nights at Shangri La)
The Baxter Inn
Palmer & Co
Mojo Record Bar
LOS ANGELES (4 nights at Beverly Wilshire)
The Blue Room
SAN FRANCISCO (4 nights at St Regis)
The Gotham Club
Bourbon & Branch
Wilson & Wilson Detective Agency
NEW YORK (4 nights at The Mark)
The Back Room
Death & Co
Timothy Oulton’s Hudson Collection Pieces For Participants
The sensorial new Hudson collection brings that provocative sense of the unexpected to life, featuring an array of distinctive cabinetry comprised of bar cabinets, sideboards, and tables. Understated design adds to its stealth, but its rich textured surface cloaked in a dark patchwork skin of black Fury leather panels, hints at something special within. With painstaking craftsmanship, each leather panel is affixed one by one using hand-applied black studs. Aniline dye allows the hide’s natural character to come to the surface, creating multi-tonal hues of deep, warm browns and black for a luxurious worn, vintage look.
Once opened, Hudson reveals a myriad of compartments, each one designed to carry the necessary stocks of drinks, ingredients and accoutrements needed to shake up a storm…
Win your Hudson Bar filled with Champagne
Source: Tomothy Oulton
Photo credit: Timothy Oulton